This is a very important step in the songwriting process. I am thinking this song is done. Good to go. Wrong! I didn't send it to Nashville to get a professional demo made. It it time to get some feedback on the song. I am so close to the process that I can sometimes miss the obvious. Kinda like the commercials for Febreeze on TV where the teenager can't smell his own stinky socks.
I recorded a rough demo of my song and played it at the monthly NSAI meeting. I like getting feedback at these meetings. Usually you have some songwriters who are really good at the craft of songwriting who are willing to be honest in a nice way. Also, you will have less experienced songwriters who give you their feedback which is different. It is more how a music lover would listen to your song. Both are equally important.
Music is subjective. Not everybody will love your songs. It would be great if they did. It is probably a hit song if this is the case. Here are some of the comments that I remember
1. I like the title- Sing- commented on liking on word titlews
2. I don't like the title- I think it would be better if it was Sing with me.
3. I think this sounds like a John Prine song. (this was my favorite) lol
4. I believe it drags a little. Just a few BPM's (beats per minute) faster and it would be better
5. I would like it better if the last half of the bridge was melodically different than the front half.
6. Maybe you don't mention the bad boyfriend, why is he bad?
How to decide which advice to take or follow. If something is repeated multiple times that is a good sign that it needs more attention. If people disagree then it is debateable. Maybe it doesn't matter. So I listen to the advice and change the ones that bother me. Let take a look at number 2. Change title to sing with me. It ain't going to happen. I have labored to get a title that I like. Remember if I change it to sing with me, it can change the verses and the feel of the song. Number 6- I agree with the bad boyfriend line. I think it needs tweaking. I am probably okay with the song being a little faster.
This is my first round of feedback. Feedback is a gift. Sometimes it is a gift that we don't like but we need. Kinda like getting new clothes for Christmas as a kid. Yes, you can always look sharp in a new shirt but not as fun to get as a new basketball.